Anesthesia allows healthcare providers to perform diagnostic procedures, minimally invasive treatments, and invasive surgeries that may not be possible without some form of pain management.
Common Anesthesia Errors in Florida
Anesthesia errors come in several different forms and may be caused by a wide range of factors, including defective drugs and equipment. Unfortunately, the primary cause of anesthesia errors is due to the incompetence or negligence of one or more medical care providers. In cases where the error is caused by a medical professional, the patient and their family can file a claim to recover damages.
Common incidences of anesthesia errors include:
- Administering too high of a dose
- Administering too little of a dose, resulting in anesthesia awareness
- Delayed delivery of anesthesia
- Failure to prevent drug interactions with prescription medications
- Administering the wrong anesthesia drug
- Administering anesthesia to a patient with allergies
- Failing to administer oxygen or properly monitor the patient
- Failing to provide the patient with proper instructions, such as limiting liquid and food intake
- Using defective medical equipment and devices during anesthetic administration