Hundreds of new medications are produced and promoted by drug manufacturers each year. These drugs are meant to help patients get better. Unfortunately, in some cases, their adverse side effects outweigh the benefits.
Liability for Dangerous or Defective Drugs in Florida
Drug manufacturers have a primary responsibility to create products that are reasonably safe for patients. They are held to a high standard of strict liability in case their medication causes injury or harm. Strict liability lawsuits are different from negligence cases – you don’t need to prove the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care while manufacturing or marketing the dangerous product.
Liability doesn’t end with the manufacturer in these cases. You can name other parties involved in the distribution as defendants in a dangerous drug lawsuit. These lawsuits often include:
- Pharmaceutical company
- Drug manufacturer
- A laboratory that tested the drug before it was approved for sale
- Physicians prescribing the drug
- The hospital that provided the treatment
- The pharmacy that filled the prescription
- The pharmaceutical sales rep of the drug company